Thursday, April 14, 2011

Art Explorer 9: Sharing is Caring

Guerrilla art is meant to spark a reaction, not a critique; that's because the focus is on the process not the product. 
I think that this process involves two art elements, passion and risk.  Although these are not listed in the textbook , I feel that they are the most relevant to Guerrilla art.  Passion is a requirement, as one must believe in their creation; because if the artist doesn't believe in their own creation, why would anyone else?  Also, some form of risk usually arises as Guerrilla art is created in public places.  Typical Guerrilla art can be seen on the side of buildings, (graffiti, like the one above), or on sidewalks (chalk art).  I also chose the element of risk because I felt a thrilling sense when I did my own Guerrilla art, Sharing is Caring. 

I wrote an anonymous letter, made several copies and stuck they on neighbor's front doors. The letter consisted of a famous quote that causes people to remember, "sharing is caring".
The letter read:


Here is the reaction I got from my next-door neighbor:

  • I was standing behind a column waiting for someone to leave or come home.  
  • Then she must of saw the letter from inside because she came to the front door and took the important notice. She slightly moved back inside and read the letter. 
  • Then she looked up to see if anyone was there.. 
  • I came out and explained to her what was going on and she laughed, saying it was a great idea. 
While I was waiting there to see someones reaction, this sense of risk and thrill built up inside me; like somehow I was going to get caught or in trouble.  But that didn't happen... in the end it all worked out and I did something that I felt passionate about.


**Note to Future Educators**
Try doing a Guerrilla art project with your children and remember to emphasize the art elements of passion and risk.  Guerrilla art is also a fun way to educate children on the various reactions a single piece of artwork receives.

No comments:

Post a Comment