Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Art Explorer 4: Can you spot the pattern?

Patterns.
Patterns on clothes, sheets, walls and buildings. From simple to complex, patterns are everywhere. One may ask, "what is a pattern?" According to Schirrmacher and Englebright, "pattern suggests flow, rhythm, motion or movement as well as regularity and repetition" (2009, p. 142). Schirrmacher and Englebright also state that patterns are regular or irregular, symmetrical or asymmetrical and sequenced or alternating (2009, p. 142). For this definition, you and I could probably name a million patterns. However, the pattern I have chosen is one that is seen almost every minute of everyday. What is it?.........Bricks.
Bricks at Ram at the Rye

You are probably looking at this picture and thinking, "So what? That's boring", but its not. Why? Because it is a fundamental pattern. Bricks are an essential part to many buildings, houses and institutions.  For instance, not only is my own home made from bricks, but so is Fairview Mall and don't forget Ryerson University.  Although bricks are everywhere, they are usually the pattern thought of least. When we first got this assignment, I automatically thought that the pattern had to be elaborate and eye catching, but then I realized that everyone was probably going to do that. So, I thought simple. I came to bricks and decided, "Why not? It's a pattern. It's repetitive and has a sequence".  I then realized that bricks may be simple, but that is that I liked, the understatement.  I may have been drawn to the whole "brick idea", as I feel that in a way it represents me. Because I too am a fairly simple and often characterized as a straightforward person.
After all, the old saying goes, "the simplest things in life are the most beautiful". Don't worry, I'm not about to say that I think bricks are absolutely beautiful and magnificent, but in a way they slightly are. How? Bricks are not a recent invention, they have been used for decades and for them to still be around is kinda fascinating.  Today, bricks come in different styles and shapes that can create various patterns and designs. Here are a few...
Google images.

**Note to Future Educators**
The element of pattern, is not only important for children to know in terms of art, but also as an element of daily routine.  Thus, patterns occur in complex and intricate forms, but I believe it is important for children to recognize the simple and original patterns that make-up everyday life.

No comments:

Post a Comment